12th Cambridge Scout Group has four Sections: Beavers, Cubs and two Scout Troops. Currently, all Sections are full, but we run a waiting list system to enable parents to register that their young people wish to join a Section. This policy attempts to explain how we match places, as they become available, with young people on the list.
- For a young person to be added to the waiting list, the following details MUST be supplied: full name, date of birth, address + postcode, and phone and email contact details of at least one parent/guardian.
- Young people approaching the Beavers joining age (6 years) may only be added to the list from age 5.
- If a young person waiting for a particular Section does not obtain a place in time to join that Section, then they will remain on the list for the next Section up.
- Our Group relies on the efforts of our adult volunteers (Leaders, Assistants, Executive Committee etc), without whom it would simply not continue. We always need more adult volunteers. Therefore, we give a high priority to those on the waiting list who have an adult family member who is willing and able to take on a Role within the Group.
- The age ranges for the Sections are: Beavers: 6 to 8 years, Cubs: 8 to 10½ years, Scouts: 10½ to 14 years.
- Scouting is open to all young people (irrespective of gender, faith, ability, sexuality or any other factors). If a young person needs additional support in order to participate in scouting, this should be discussed with the leaders, who will work with parents to establish a plan of action.
Priorities when allocating places
The following is a list of criteria that we use when allocating places to young people – in approximate order of priority (highest priority first). Nevertheless, please note that allocation of all places is at the discretion of Section Leaders and the Group Scout Leader:
- The young person is already a member of 12th Cambridge, and is moving up from the section below (ie Beavers to Cubs or Cubs to Scouts).
- A parent or other adult family member commits to volunteering in one of the following roles: Leader, Assistant Leader, Section Assistant or Executive Committee Member.
- The young person is already a member of The Scout Association at a Group outside of Cambridge District and has recently moved house to Cambridge.
- The young person has a sibling who is already a member of 12th Cambridge
- If allocated a place, the young person will have at least one year within the Section being joined before reaching the age of moving up to the next Section
- After all of the above have been taken into account, the amount of time spent on the waiting list will be considered as a factor.
- If a young person already has a place in one of our Scout Troops and wishes to transfer to the other Troop, no special priority will be given to such a request.
- A young person wishing to transfer from another Group within Cambridge District to 12th Cambridge is given no special priority.
To request the addition of a young person onto our waiting list, or to discuss volunteering opportunities or our Admissions Policy, please contact the Group Scout Leader, Colin Sills:
- by email: email@example.com or
- by phone: 01223 927104