It’s been a while since we have had one, but it’s time for a parents’ HQ work weekend on 15th & 16th October, so please save the date!
Let us know that you can help by popping an email to email@example.com, and roll up your sleeves and prepare to have fun!
We have two projects lined up:
- clearing and making safe the alley behind the HQ building
- redecorating the meeting room and Brownie room to make them into Activity rooms
Project 1: alley clearance
What are we aiming for?:
Make the alley behind the hut useful and safe for for storing equipment & accessing the gas bottles.
What will we do?:
- Clear all the weeds and overgrowth
- Dig out the uneven soil, broken glass and rubbish – enough to fill the skip that we’ll hire!
- Fix the perimeter fence
- Lay weed-control fabric and approx 2 tonnes of gravel
What do we need?
- An army of willing volunteers to dig, shovel and barrow the rubbish out and the gravel in
- Tools: wheelbarrows, spades, shovels, pruners
Project 2: room improvements
What are we aiming for?
Transforming two rooms from junk stores to Activity rooms for our young people to use during scouting sessions – the large room will become an informal, nice room and the smaller one a meeting room with table and chairs. With carpet, we hope to make the rooms feel less cold in winter!
What will we do?
- clear the rooms of all clutter and excess furniture
- paint the walls
- fit blinds to the windows and seal draughts
- fit carpet tiles on the floors
What do we need?
- volunteers to clear, clean, paint & fit out the rooms
- Tools: we already have most items already, but a couple of stepladders would be handy.
So, if you are up to challenge, please email the team: firstname.lastname@example.org, letting us know when you can make it, how many people, offers of useful tools – basically any info that would be helpful.
As is traditional on these occasions, leaders are excluded from parents’ work weekends, and the GSL will supply the tea and biscuits!