A long day out to Toronto, taking in the sights of the big city, ascending the CN Tower and a fun evening at The Blue Jays baseball game.
A great effort by our young volunteers, supporting Muscular Dystrophy UK.
12th Scouts & Woodsmoke Explorers ran the water station at the Cambridge Town & Gown 10k 2021 on 16th October. The running race, a charity event raising money for Muscular Dystrophy, had around 1500 thirsty runners.
Fourteen of our young people and a couple of leaders set their alarms early on a chilly Saturday morning to come and help set everything up, give the runners their water, and generally cheer the competitors on.
Spurred on by a warmup workout led by Emma and demolishing an enormous quantity of snacks from the GSL, the scouts were praised by the event organisers.
Well done, all!
Scouts, Explorers, Leaders and Scouters from 12th Cambridge UK & 12th Cambridge Ontario embraced camping at home in May 2020, with a mini Jamboree!
Here is a flavour of what they got up to!
Our annual firework party was a brilliant display of Fireworks, watched by around two hundred people marvelling at the fantastic flourish made by the 30kg of fireworks that included spectacular Catherine wheels.
Thanks to all our volunteers who made the food, such a big success. 400 sausages; 10kg of onions, 18 bottles of mulled wine and 400 pieces of tray bake all disappeared in record time!
12th Cambridge was pleased once again to host the District Archery Competition on Saturday 10th November.
Slightly later in the season than usual, the competition was well attended, by record numbers of Cubs amongst others, who braved the chilly (and, later, torrential) conditions.
Expertly guided by Tom Hartley, our District Archery Coordinator, the day was a great mix of competition and introduction to archery for many.
The format of the competition was 3 ends of 5 arrows each, with Cubs shooting from 10 metres and Scouts/Explorers/Adults shooting from 20 yards.
Robin Sills of 12th Cambridge won the Cubs competition with a superb score of 116. This also qualifies him for the White Arrow award (115+ from 10m/15 arrows). Stanley Howard of 11th & 9th Cambridge won the Scouts competition with a score of 100, and Jude Watts of 12th Cambridge won the Explorers competition (scoring 91).
The best three individual scores for each team in each category were counted. For the first time, 12th Cambridge took a clean sweep amongst the young people, winning the hotly-contested Cubs Team competition, along with Scouts & Explorers titles. In the Adults category, 28th were victorious.
Full results (every arrow scored) available here:
Thank you to everyone who competed, set up, scored every arrow shot, made teas & coffees, and helped with the clear up. Special thanks to Tom Hartley (our Range Master who battled through his headache), Meghan Bird (who sat all day in the cold and entered almost every score into the computer), and the whole of the contingent from the 50th (who got unlucky with the weather and endured a soaking, complete with thunder & lightning, with good humour).
Excitement and warmth as the nights draw in! The 12th Cambridge annual firework display is coming soon.
Come along, bring friends & family, and enjoy hot dogs, soup, mulled wine and the best fireworks this side of Midsummer Common!
Saturday 3rd November
Party 6pm on
Location: 12th Cambridge HQ
Fireworks @ 7pm
You are welcome to bring sparklers – PLEASE follow this safety advice and do not drop them on the field (use the bins provided).
Please RSVP using OSM via the link at the bottom of the invitation email sent to all members.
We request as many volunteers as possible to help with:
- setting up from 4pm
- serving food during the event
- a debris sweep of the field (Sunday morning, 10am on), so that we leave no trace!
…. so let us know what you can do to help.
*The scouts will be shaking collection buckets at the end, so please donate generously!
This year’s summer camp was a piece of history for 12th Cambridge, with both cub packs and both scout troops camping together for the first time! A contingent totalling 56 people made their way to Gradbach in the Peak District for a full on week of adventure. It included caving, rock climbing, hiking and, for the scouts, a trip to Alton Towers. And some epic pioneering where the scouts created a quite lethal looking trebuche…..
The super summer just keeps on giving! This can only mean one thing: it’s time for the summer party.
Mon 23rd July, 6pm at the hut
AGM at 6.45pm. We seek some new Executive Committee members: this could be you! Please consider putting your name forward.
Fundraising auction at 7.30pm – please bring your wallets! We have some superb lots to bid for. Raising funds to build new, accessible toilets at the hut. Full details here.
Food & fun all provided
RSVP with numbers & dietary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org
About the AGM
The Annual General Meeting is an important meeting of the Group. Accounts are presented, Executive Committee Members are elected. Although formal, the AGM will be kept very short so that we may continue the party! Your attendance is requested.
Download the agenda here: 2018 AGM Notice and Agenda
Roll up! Roll up! 12th Cambridge is raising funds to pay for improved toilet facilities at the hut. Our plan is to build modern, accessible toilets to replace the Victorian-style ones that we currently ‘enjoy’.
To help with this, we are running an auction of lots at our Summer Party, to be held on Monday 23rd July 2018. The auction will commence at 7.30pm.
William, one of our scout leaders, has been busy around Cambridge securing a whole host of fine lots for you. Fancy scuba diving, roller-skating or a meal, theatre tickets or a new haircut? How about punting on the Cam or a back massage? Perhaps tennis is your thing? Maybe you have a friend that would appreciate a gift of climbing or a voucher for art supplies? You are bound to find something that you would like in our list of auction lots below!
Can’t make it to the live auction on the 23rd? No problem! We will accept online and email bids in advance. Simply read the auction rules and submit a bid using the form below, or email the auctioneer with your bid details.
So, get bidding and enjoy the fun of the auction!
|1||Meals/drinks at ITSU||For three people||–|
|2||Back massage||At Optimum Beauty St Ives.
Valid until sept 2018
|3||Scuba Diving||Two try dives at Chesterton
Sport centre, Thurs evenings 19:30. Valid for 2018. Must be aged 10+ and a swimmer
|4||Haircut at Wacky Hair||Voucher||£35|
|5||Meal at Zizzi||Voucher||£30|
|6||Art supplies at Tindalls
|7||Hairstyling at Vision Hair
Design Histon Rd
|8||Meal at Golden Wok Histon
|9||Family membership at Hill’s
Rd Sports and Tennis Centre
|1-year family membership.
Also includes £25 activity voucher
|10||Climbing at Clip and
|Voucher for two 4 – 16 year
olds. Valid until December 2018
|11||Meal/drinks at the Old
|Voucher to spend in bar or
|12||Saturday class at St Ivo
|Voucher for 2 people to
attend. Valid until june 2019
|13||Chesterton Sports Centre
|Adult only. Valid until 23
|14||Theatre school at BodyWork||One week of lessons at
|15||Bowling at Milton Outdoor
|8 people for bowling.
Afternoons. Includes tea and biscuits
|16||Tennis membership –
Cambridge Lawn Tennis Club
|Membership for two children||–|
|17||Just Tanning voucher||Adult only. Valid until Dec
|18||Squash/Tennis at Ley’s
|2 squash courts and 2 tennis courts for one hour||–|
|19||Adult learning at
Coleridge, Parkside and Trumpington
|Any 10-week course or
|20||Yoga at Satnam Yoga||Voucher||£25|
|21||Meat vouchers -Andrew
Waller Butchers & Art of Meat
|Includes a disposable BBQ ,
disposable cutlery and tablecloth.
|22||Bing Live pre-school show
at Cambridge Corn Exchange
|Two tickets. Show dates 29
or 30 september
|23||Tickets – Corpus Playroom
or the ADC Theatre
|2 free tickets to any
production. Valid until 23/6/19
|24||Roller skating||2 taster sessions at Ely
and Chesterton United Rink Hockey Club
|25||Punting||All day self-punting
(weekday) in direction of Granchester meadows or college backs
|26||Photo shoot at absolute photo uk.com||Voucher, valid until June
- The auction will be a two-stage auction: 1. Bids are invited in advance by online form below or email to email@example.com 2. A live auction will be held at 12th Cambridge Scout Hut on the evening of Monday 23rd July 2018. The auctioneer at the live auction will be provided with details of all bids made in advance.
- Bids made by email should clearly include the following information: name, phone number, lot number and brief description of the item being bid for and the bid amount. Bids for multiple items may be made in the same email.
- 12th Cambridge has exercised due care in the preparation of descriptions of lots. In the event of these descriptions being shown to be materially inaccurate, winning bidders have the right to withdraw their bids.
- 12th Cambridge reserves the right to withdraw any lot from the auction without notice or explanation. Further, it reserves the right to set a ‘reserve’ price for any lot. If the highest bid is below the level of the reserve, the item will be deemed not to have sold at auction.
- Bids made online and by email are ‘sealed’ bids. They will be passed to the auctioneer before the live auction but otherwise remain confidential.
- In submitting your bid, you agree, if successful, to pay an amount up to the value of the bid. For advance bids, the actual amount payable will depend on the level of the 2nd-highest bid.
- For winning online/email bids submitted in advance of the live auction, the winning bidder will pay the amount bid by the second-highest bid, plus £1.
- For winnning bids made in person at the live auction, winning bidders will pay the amount that they bid.
- If two or more bids for an item are exactly the same and the highest of all bids, then the bid made first will be deemed to be the winning bid.
- The cut-off for online/email bids being accepted is 11pm on Sunday 22nd July 2018. Online/email bids made after this time will be deemed invalid and discarded.
- Winning bidders will be notified of their purchases within 48 hours of the end of the live auction. They will be encouraged to pay for their items by direct bank transfer (account details will be provided). Alternatively, cheque made payable to ’12th Cambridge Scout Group’ or cash will be acceptable at the live auction.
- All proceeds from the auction will be received by 12th Cambridge Scout Group (registered charity number 300711).
- Privacy: all personal data (name, email address, phone number etc) submitted via the online form below, or by email, will be kept confidential by 12th Cambridge Scout Group. It will be used only for the purpose of running the auction and to contact the winning bidders. It will not be submitted to any third parties. It will be deleted immediately after the auction.
- Any queries concerning the auction should be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org The auctioneer’s decision is final.